Sunday School Lessons for Life
Sunday School Lessons for Life Books
Lessons for Life 1 - 4 each contain a year's Sunday School lessons (aside from special services and anniversaries).
Lessons for Life 1: 207 pages, paperback, illustrated, ISBN 1 870855 07 8
Lessons for Life 2: 207 pages, paperback, illustrated, ISBN 1 870855 11 6
Lessons for Life 3: 252 pages, paperback, illustrated, ISBN 1 870855 15 9
Lessons for Life 4: 255 pages, paperback, illustrated, ISBN 1 870855 20 5
Here are Sunday School lessons with a distinctive challenge for young people growing up in these perilous times. They avoid the presentation of Bible narratives as mere stories, so that the Word of God speaks powerfully to the young, pressing home the great arguments and appeals of the Gospel. These lessons, proved for over twenty-five years in Sunday Schools of all sizes (and situated in some of Britain's toughest communities), have been revised by the author for all who want soul-winning to be the keynote of their Sunday School ministry. They provide a memorable view of all the major events and doctrines of the Bible, and are supplemented by excellent visual aid suggestions and drawings. The Lessons for Life books visual aids (see below) help to apply the lesson and captivate the children's attention. The four volumes provide a lesson series extending over four years. Each lesson contains sufficient material to suit all age-groups, so that teachers may select the amount of narrative and application appropriate for their class.
The final volume in the series includes a presentation of the ten commandments, specially prepared to equip the young to face the alarming challenges of these morally perilous last days.
Lessons for Life books have already been translated into Russian, Chinese and other languages. They have also been enthusiastically greeted by parents for use in family devotions, and by speakers preparing talks for young people's, men's and women's meetings. The full four-year syllabus is shown below.
[Jill Masters has given much of her life to the work of Sunday Schools, including responsibility for Britain's largest. She is well-known as a speaker to gatherings of teachers in Britain, the Far East, Australia and South Africa.]
A new series of full-colour visual aids have been launched to accompany the 4-volume series of Sunday School lessons by Mrs Jill Masters, very widely used throughout the world. Each lesson now has two or three 42cm x 30cm (A3) superb gloss card sheets of pictures, cut-out words, and in some cases ingenious clip-together displays, to captivate the curiosity and interest of children. Top-quality professional artwork serves to make these visuals compelling to a generation of children accustomed to sophisticated graphics. (None of these visuals features pictures of the Lord.)
These visuals are on robust 200 and 250gm gloss card and should stand up to use over repeated four-year syllabus cycles. The cost of a year’s visuals is well below the cost of most other Sunday School systems, yet of greatly superior quality. Teachers who value the consistent evangelistic emphasis of Lessons for Life have already expressed great enthusiasm for the new visual-aid scheme, and we hope that it will enrich many Sunday Schools, and also encourage the reinvigoration and enlargement of schools. Packs containing over 90 visuals (with easy-assembly instructions) for Lessons for Life Vol 1 cost £22.50 each (includes VAT), and for Vols 2, 3 & 4 cost £24.50 each. Postage (UK) is £4.11 for up to three sets.
Take-home leaflets are available to accompany the lesson each week - Lessons for Life Bible Learning Course - with an outline picture for colouring by children, questions, hymn verse, and Bible readings. One set can be purchased for each book and photocopied locally as required. Sets of 46 leaflets to accompany each volume of Lessons for Life: £2.30 each plus postage. Registered users of Lessons for Life may photocopy their own quantities for Sunday School use. Supplementary take-home leaflets for special occasions (such as Christmas, Easter and Prize-Giving) are also available.
Term Topic for Sunday School Short Talks
In the same format Short Talks: A Book of Excuses contains outlines for five-minute 'specials' during the worship time of Sunday School. Visual aids are included. Price £1.95 plus postage.
The Complete Lessons for Life 4-year Syllabus
Sunday School Lessons for Life 1 (lessons 1-46)
- Miracles Demonstrating Jesus' Power (Mark's Gospel - Part I)
- The Lord's saving power seen in His power over nature, death, the devil, human need and illness (5 lessons)
- In the Beginning (Genesis - Part I)
- The truth about God, creation and the Fall, with the earliest salvation testimonies (6 lessons)
- Opposition to Jesus (Mark's Gospel - Part II)
- Examples of key sins - prejudice, pride, hardness, hate, etc - seen in the Lord's opponents, and to be repented of by all (6 lessons)
- Highlights from the Conversion and Preaching Journeys of Paul (Acts - Part I)
- Evangelistic lessons from the life (and converts) of the apostle (8 lessons)
- God's Great Plans (Genesis - Part II)
- Character studies from Abraham to Joseph showing the power and goodness of God towards His people (12 lessons)
- The 'I AM' Sayings of the Lord Jesus (John's Gospel)
- Exalting the Saviour through His own great metaphors - the Living Water, the Bread of Life, etc (9 lessons)
Sunday School Lessons for Life 2 (lessons 47-92)
- The Christian Pilgrimage - Salvation from Sin's Slavery (Exodus - Joshua - Part I)
- The journey from Egypt to Sinai (8 lessons)
- People Who Followed Jesus (Luke's Gospel - Part I)
- Christian conversion and its chief characteristics (11 lessons)
- The Christian Pilgrimage - Pictures of Salvation and Heaven (Exodus - Joshua - Part II)
- The journey continues from Sinai to Jordan (6 lessons)
- Gospel Appeals in the Saviour's Parables (Luke's Gospel - Part II)
- The consequences of sin and the only way of escape (11 lessons)
- Judgement and Deliverance (Joshua - Samuel)
- Examples and warnings for all, from Rahab to Saul (10 lessons)
Sunday School Lessons for Life 3 (lessons 93-138)
- Gains and Losses in Following Jesus (Mark's Gospel - Part III)
- Repentance, faith and conversion, and their alternatives (8 lessons)
- Great Differences (1 Samuel - 2 Chronicles)
- Contrasts drawn from the lives of David and Solomon to illustrate conversion and the believer's privileges (12 lessons)
- Early Reactions to the Apostles' Message (Acts - Part II)
- Various categories of hearer and the Holy Spirit's work in their lives (6 lessons)
- Sin and Its Cure (1 and 2 Kings - Elijah and Elisha)
- The nature of sin and its punishment, with God's remedy graphically presented (8 lessons)
- The Saviour Comes and Begins His Work (Matthew's Gospel - Part I)
- A chronological account of the life and teaching of the Lord highlighting His attributes and saving purpose (12 lessons)
Sunday School Lessons for Life 4 (lessons 139-184)
- The Word of God (The Division of the Kingdom to the Exile)
- The Bible authenticated in history and in transformed lives (11 lessons)
- The Life, Death and Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew's Gospel - Part II)
- Continuing the chronological account of the life and teaching of the Lord (10 lessons)
- Character Studies from Daniel and Nehemiah
- The transforming work of grace and its dramatic results (9 lessons)
- The Ten Commandments - The 'schoolmaster' to lead us to Christ and the way of safety and fulfilment (11 lessons)
- How God Fits Us for Heaven
- The steps of salvation explained from Romans and other epistles and applied to young people today (5 lessons)
Each of the volumes of the Sunday School Lessons for Life collection is available from the Metropolitan Tabernacle Bookshop.
Each book - contains 46 Sunday School lessons, sufficient for one year in the Sunday School programme (allowing for special services and 'open school' holiday Sundays). Lessons are undated and may be adapted to any local plan.
Topical - The Sunday School lessons are divided into series, each having a distinctive theme of special relevance to the modern child. New Testament and Old Testament series are interspersed (but so as to retain the order of Old Testament events).
Training - for teachers. Each lesson is an example of the lost art of applying the Gospel to young souls.
Tested - proved for 25 years in Sunday Schools of all sizes situated in some of Britain's toughest communities, these lessons have now been revised by the author, and re-presented for all who want soul-winning to be the keynote of their Sunday School ministry.
Economical - at a fraction of the cost of many Sunday School lesson systems published as periodical parts, Lessons for Life provides longer outlines and explanations with more suggested applications.
Adaptable - These volumes have also been greeted with enthusiasm by parents for use in family devotions, and by speakers preparing other kinds of young people's meetings, as well as men's and women's meetings.
The author - has over thirty years experience in Sunday Schools, much of that time as co-ordinator of Britain's largest, at the Metropolitan Tabernacle.
Building an Outreach Sunday School
This practical manual, by Jill Masters, for the starting, enlargement and operation of Sunday Schools incorporates years of experience from one who has pioneered Sunday School work in a new town, and has been central for many years to the growth of Britain's largest Sunday School in the heart of London.
This manual teems with information and tips which will help small as well as large Schools, but the transparent aim is to encourage the greatest growth possible, in gathering teenagers and children under the sound of the Word.
Sections of this book cover:
- Aims of Sunday School
- Church Policy
- Teaching Scheme
- Training of Teachers
- Collecting Children
- Weeknight Meetings
- Special Occasions
- Visiting Homes
111 pages, paperback. - Available from Tabernacle Bookshop